Tuesday, March 23, 2010

High school graduation


It's that time of year that seniors are preparing for their graduation. I started thinking back to mine, back in the good old year 1972. My Grandma Naomi was there, and for my present she got me an am/fm radio that ran by electricity. Now this was a GREAT present. Prior to that we just had small transistor radios that would just pick up two local stations. They were battery operated, and when the battery died, you might have to wait a month before you got a new battery. The am/fm that you could plug in provided hours and hours of listening enjoyment. It went away to college with me, and was a gift I will never forget.

Then for my college graduation my mom got me a pearl ring. I don't know if she picked it out, or my sister did. That ring meant a lot to me, but somewhere along the way it got misplaced. I still remember it well though.

So now comes the time to get a gift for a grand daughter. All she wants is money. So, do I give her what she wants, or do I give her something that is meaningful to me, somthing that she might carry on into adulthood.

I don't remember what I got all my kids for gifts. I do remember most got luggage sometime during their senior year.

Question for the day, what gift do you remember most as you were growing up?

4 comments:

  1. I don't remember what you got me for graduation. As for a gift growing up ..... I think you came to ECU after I moved in and took me shopping for dorm room stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I was there when we went dorm room shopping(Boring). I didn't get luggage for graduation. Grandma Cat sent me a card for graduation, no money was in it I was 18 by then. I remember lots of stuff I got over the years but my favorite was my tutu and teria that you are still holding hostage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I remember most, for my 16th birthday my 1994 GMC Sonoma which is parked in the yard with a blown transmission. MY graduation present from ECU in 2004 was my gas grill which I still use today. It just needs to be cleaned out.
    Thanks
    Mom & Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. What I remember for graduation is luggage given to me from Davids family and I remember thinking what am I going to do with luggage I dont travel. Needless to say it is still at moms. I still have most of the rings that my mom gave to me. As for Kelli she is getting a gift from me because I think graduation is special and requires a momento.

    ReplyDelete