A few days ago I decided I wanted something sweet. I get tired of Sherrill's Little Debbie Cakes, and there wasn't a cake mix in the pantry. So off I go to the internet looking for simple cake recipes......since there are only about a thousand of them! I go look in the kitchen for all the ingredients, and I only have ONE stick of margarine, and need to make the cake plus the frosting. Most of the recipes call for butter, but I never use butter. Then I remember, OH CHRISTY sent me some canned butter last year. I pulled out the jar, and yep it was butter, in a pint jar from May 2011. I opened that thing, stuck my finger in it and tasted, Yep, it's butter, I know because I don't like butter.
I noticed that the cake was requiring almost twice the ingredients that is usually does, like a cup of butter instead of 1/2 cup, 2 cups of sugar, 4 eggs, etc. Well,, when I filled up the cake pans, they were really full.
The cake took longer to cook, and it was a little dense (I should have made 3 or 4 layers). The flavor was GREAT!
Now for the frosting. I couldn't find a recipe for chocolate butter cream, but I used the other half of that jar of butter, powered sugar, cocoa, and vanilla, and I made me some frosting. And it was some GOOD frosting.
Needless to say, the cake was gone in 3 or 4 days. We ate cake that first night before we even ate dinner!
That's the part about being old that I like! You can eat what you want, whenever you want to.
Next time you want to bake a cake, look for Martha Stewart's recipe, and use real butter. If you don't have any, just give Christy a call!
Thanks Christy for the butter. We gobbled it up REAL fast!
What do you mean you don't like butter? I'm glad you liked it. Now for a way to use the honey we gave you last year also.
ReplyDelete