School Years 2009 until.......whenever. Lots of kids, AND grandkids AND lots of surprises!
Tuesday, November 5, 2013
Scan, Cut, Crop, File……Scan, Cut, Crop, File
This is what my dining room table looks like. Full of books, papers, and files. Aunt Louise died 1 year ago October 12th. During the last 6-8 years of her life I made 3 trips to Florida, and 2 trips to SC just to get totes full of her genealogy research. I filled up the back of the Rendezvous four times. I brought it back, sorted through it, and condensed it down to a more manageable size. I still need to condense it even more. For the past 2 days I have been taking copies of obits and scanning, cutting, cropping, filing, then repeat again. I emptied one tote today, now I have to go put up more shelves in my garage (office, studio) to put up more books and files.
Did I tell you that some of this stuff is over 50 years old, and covered with cigarette smoke, and animal droppings? I got rid of the animal droppings before I ever brought it into the house, and sprayed with bug killer. A nice cloth with febreze sprayed on it and sealed in the tote helped with the odor. The amount of information is immeasurable.
I haven't even started on the pictures yet. My plan is to put some of the old pictures on familysearch.org, and some of the obits on findagrave.com. In the meantime, the dust has triggered my allergies, and the dining room is a mess, but that's OK. I'll clean this mess up tomorrow, then pull out another tote and start all over again!
And did I forget to mention I also have Aunt Charlotte's (Uncle Hallett's wife) genealogy, and Aunt Mildred's (grandaddy Joe's sister) genealogy, the pictures from Aunt Hilda (grandaddy Joe's Aunt) and Aunt Paulines photos and 2 boxes full of newspaper clippings, and heaven only knows what else is in my stuff! I was even blessed with Grandma Naomi's personal papers and pictures. And did I mention there was an envelope from the White House sent to Little Grandma (Leila Pound) in the 1960's?! I have got to find out what that is all about! Aunt Jane should know.
I just wanted to let you know I am not just sitting back on my laurels. I am actually working, and working!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment