Thursday, November 28, 2013

Happy Turkey Day

Happy Thanksgiving one and and all.
Hope everyone has a belly full by now, and is propped back on the couch or recliner with your feet propped up.
You remember I had the day's events all planned out a week ago. Menu was made, food was purchased, and everything divided up making a few special things every day until the week was up.
Well, as usual, not everything goes as planned.
I went to Walmart to purchase the bulk of the items, but still had Sherrill to pick me up a few things.
Well, you can't blame a guy for getting regular pie crust instead of deep dish. It just ended up two pies instead of one. But then I had this great idea to cook the turkey breast on  the la Caja China grill……

We LOVE this grill, and it will cook anything. You have to start out with 12-16 pounds of charcoal though. So, I had the bright idea to cook TWO turkey breast instead of one. I could just freeze the other, or give it away. So, I send Sherrill off to the store to purchase the chicken breast. He had put them in the back of the refrigerator to unthaw. Well, this morning after he got the charcoal started, he pulled out the turkey breast for me. Oopps! No TURKEY BREAST! Instead he had picked up two
16 pound turkeys! Thirty two pounds of meat……that is even too much for "fat boy"!

No, they aren't burnt. It's the spices and olive oil on top that darkened the skin. So, here we have it…32 pounds of Butterball turkey, just waiting to be Gobbled, Gobbled! Sherrill ate one leg, thigh, wing, and the "little leg" attached to the wing/breast for lunch. I guess he will eat the same at dinner. I think I will chop up the breast for chicken salad, after I get a turkey sandwich for dinner.
Oh, the bacon wrapped asparagus turned out pretty good. The asparagus was a little stringy though. The sauce I put over it was great. It was made with butter, brown sugar, and soy sauce. It would go great with chicken strips or balls. The bacon took forever to "crisp up" in the oven, but it had a real good flavor. I don't know if I will try it again.
The dressing and gravy were just perfect, as well as the mashed potatoes and corn. We went the easy way out with Hawaiian rolls. After the meal was over and done, I reminded Sherrill that we are just too old for all of this. I should have had Christa to come over and cook for us!
Reminder for Christmas……. I liked the ham dinner better than the turkey dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment