Monday, March 24, 2014

Magic Johnson


The year that I was secretary and membership chairman for Brogden Primary School we won the state PTA Membership bowl. We went to the PTA convention in Charlotte to accept our award. We ended up staying in the same hotel that the LA Lakers were staying in. We had heard that Magic was taken out of the game due to an injury (he was bleeding). This was the first game he had played since being diagnosed with HIV. We were in the lobby, and saw them coming in the front door. I followed them to the elevator and asked for a picture. Magic said, "Not now please". I told him I had a son at home and if I did NOT take the picture, he would never let me live it down.
Who would have guessed that just a few years later I was working as an AIDS activist?

No comments:

Post a Comment