It started out to be a wonderful day. I got up early, ate breakfast and sat down at the sewing machine. Sherrill was in his room with Jack and the world was quiet. And then it happened. While I was machine quilting a table runner, my hands got in the way and the needle went right through my index finger on my left hand, right at the first joint. ALL THE WAY through. It broke the needle off. "SSHHEERRRIILLLLLLL" get me a wet wash cloth quick! I thought I was going to pass out. Blood was squirting out on both sides of my finger. I squeezed it tight to stop the bleeding, and thought I was going to pass out. Sherrill came with the wash cloth, and I didn't know whether to put it on my face or finger. I wiped down my face right quick, and tied the wash cloth around my finger. Sherrill got me the phone and I tried to call Abby. Her phone was off, so I sent Sherrill over to get her. She comes over, and we are trying to figure out what is going on. The needle on the machine is broken off, but we can't find the sharp end of it.
There is a straight darkened area in my finger, but we can't figure out if it is blood or the needle Abby asks for a flash light
and Sherrill goes to get one. Little did we know, but Carter runs home to get his small laser light too. You could put the laser light on the back side of my finger and it would shine through, showing shadows inside. Abby said, "You know if that needle is in there they are going to have to cut your finger open to get it out". So, we start looking for the needle. I had already taken out the bobbin, the bobbin case, the case holder, anything removable I removed it. Then I told Sherrill I was going to turn the machine over. I started tilting it back and he told me to stop. He found it! Boy was I glad. I had just put in a new needle, so it was really sharp. Sherrill and Abby saved the day! I'm sure you are wondering why would I call Abby. The reason is, once you hit 40 your eyes don't work like they did at 20. I knew if I stood up, I would NEVER find the broken needle. And, I knew Abby had the patience to help me look for it. The holes have already closed up, and the finger is just a little sore. Now, what did I learn from this? I learned I am NOT supposed to sew on the Sabbath Day, and I need to wear my glasses and pay a little more attention to what I am doing. Oh well, back to the table runner tomorrow. Thanks Carter, Abby and Sherrill for your help.
No comments:
Post a Comment