Sherrill picked up Jack this afternoon. It was NOT a good reunion. One of Sherrill's workers was with him, so he drove the car, and Jack rode in Sherrill's lap. Well, tried to ride in his lap. I don't think Sherrill realizes how tender Jack's abdomen is, and when he picks him up, he just grabs him under the belly like he always does.
After about 30 minutes of being home, and Jack crying nonstop, Sherrill yells out, "I can't take this anymore, that dog has cried for 2 1/2 hours straight....I should have had him put to sleep!" I asked him did he not realize before the surgery that Jack would have a tough recovery. He admitted that he did not. Jack cried so much, his breathing became labored, so I called back up to the hospital. I was talking to the Dr and Sherrill left the room and went to the pantry. When Jack heard the door open, he stopped his crying and funny breathing so he could hear where Sherrill was. When Sherrill walked back in the room, he started it all up again. I told the Dr what Jack had done and Yes, Jack was playing us again! The Dr assured us that he had given Jack extra pain meds to travel home with, and he should be resting. So, I told Sherrill to get him some water, take him out to pee, and bring him back to me. I had taken his bed and put it in a clothes basket. That way when we needed to move him from room to room we wouldn't have to touch his incision.
So, he came back inside, and laid in the clothes basket beside me. I rubbed his head and talked to him. When he started growling at me, I knew he was doing better, and he went on to sleep. Sherrill was able to rest about an hour, then the old boy was up again wanting to go out. This time Grandma Cat saw him, and wouldn't even go near him. I guess she knows something is wrong. I think she was hoping to move on into Jack's place!
They both went to bed about an hour ago. Jack has a pain patch on that will last until Wednesday.
I sure hope they both get some rest. Jack has had a lot of water to drink, has thrown up, and has pooped, but still will not eat. His urine flow is restricted somewhat, but that could be where he is swollen from the catheter.
Tomorrow is another day. I just hope the three of us can survive.
By the way, after they went to bed, I moved the furniture and rolled my new rug up. Little "pee pot"
isn't going to mess up my new rug! I might bring down the playpen tomorrow to put him in when he is in the living room.
Any suggestions on how to deal with the recovery... for Jack AND Sherrill!
Send them to stay at Croom Drive!
ReplyDeleteIt was funny, when we checked in they asked Sherrill for his address he said 404 Croom Drive. Then later on they asked what address to send some paperwork to.....there again 404 Croom Drive. Added to that was on the way home Sherrill was restless and made the comment "I can't wait to get to Croom Drive." I politely replied, "Honey, I think Phyllis will be asleep"! I think the old man was a little stressed out.
ReplyDelete