Monday, June 26, 2017

Things are NOT always as they seem......


Two weeks ago I went for a routine visit to the Dr.  I always ask for the slip of paper that they use to file the insurance. When I got home, I noticed a different diagnosis code. I was tired, and just wanted to rest. I called Christy and asked her to look up my new diagnosis code 200.00. I fell asleep, and woke up about 9:00 pm.

I called Christy when I woke up, and asked her what the code was for. She told me reticulorsarcomaI had never heard of that word before, so she kept repeating it over and over. I asked her what it was, and she replied "some kind of cancer".  I told her thanks, and I was ready to go back to sleep. BUT, I had too many questions, so out comes the iPad. I started researching to see what category I fell in. 

I found one section that fit me perfect..... anemia, high white blood count, yep, it fell into the B Cell Lymphoma. Grandma had leukemia, so I'm following right behind her. Then I decide, oh, I have to check the life expectancy. This is where it got a little unnerving. Life expectancy 6 months to 2 years. OK, that's fine, but these tests were done 2 months ago during a brief visit to the ER. Why was I just now finding this out? Oh yeah, that's right, I didn't wait to see the ER Dr.
I walked out without treatment! My fault for that one!

So, I start making my list....... Things to do to for Sherrill .........
1.  Go online and change all bills to come snail mail, no more emails.
2.  Pull out the life insurance policy, with directions of what will need to be done 
     at the courthouse.
3.  Add his name to my bank account, not to have access while I am alive, just    so he will inherit the money at my death, and not have to wait for probate.
4.  Write a new will. Hand written, notarized will be sufficient.
5.  Make Sherrill a phone book with all the numbers in my phone and address book.
6. Make a list of all websites and login information for Christy, just in case he doesn't get the snail mail.
7.  Teach Phyllis how to use Quick Books so she can do his invoices.

There were lots more, but the big one I had decided on was to plan a family vacation.What's the use of spending insurance money on a funeral? I had much rather spend it on a vacation. So, the choice will be...... attend a funeral, or go on a vacation, or stay at home and wonder........"What are they doing now"?

I was up all night, then had to go to work Tuesday. I was calm and methodical about the entire thing. No tears, no remorse, not even a little upset. Just an old woman on a mission. I had to stop by the Dr office for labs before I went to work. After more blood was drawn, I asked to see the Dr for a minute. She came out, and I told her I did NOT want this diagnosis 200.00, that she needed to change it to something else. She looked at me with a surprised look, and asked, "What's diagnosis 200.00?" I rattled off Reticulorsarcoma, and showed her where I had written it on the slip of paper. She asked, "Where did you get that from?". I showed her.......right here.......as plain as day! She laughed, hugged me and said, "That's not a 2, that's a Z." So I asked her what the Z00.00 code was for, and she said, "Preventative Care......your physical!" I blurt out in my normal excited voice, "So, I'm not going to die?". She patiently replies, "No, Judy, you are not going to die", then gives a slight giggle, followed by the entire lab waiting room bursting out in laughter. I told her, "Well that's good to know.....I have to get to work!" My step that morning had a little more bounce to it, and the smile on my face was larger that it had been when I entered the office.  I had spent all of those hours the night before frivolously.

I am still awaiting lab results, and other tests, but I DO KNOW, it is NOT diagnosis 200.00.  And, by the way, I continue to make my list......just in case! ! 

1 comment: