School Years 2009 until.......whenever. Lots of kids, AND grandkids AND lots of surprises!
Thursday, December 11, 2014
Why Oh Why???
I just finished my first class. Oh me oh my.....why oh why??? The only thing I was sure about was "Cookies". They were named after Hansel and Gretel leaving a trail of breadcrumbs in the forest.
I now can tell you about POP, SMTP, ASCII, CERT, SANS, ISDN, DSL,T1, Sonnet, hubs, you name it. Whew.....that took a lot of reading. Port 25 used for sending email, Port 80 allows you to access the internet.
Most of the people in class are teachers, IT specialists, programmers, you name it. We had to do an introduction thing, and I am the lonely little grandma just trying to protect my Mac from the Grandkids downloads! I have to run all these tests on my Mac as well as my laptops before I can configure my own network. And believe me......it will be a mighty secure network.
The one thing we will be doing next week is learning how to disable remote control on your computer. If you have not changed your settings, your remote access is ON, and anyone can access your computer. Also, I learned dial-up is more secure than broadband. Broadband is on 24/7 where as
dial-up closes down once you sign off.
This is going to be tough, but I can do it. I am saving each of the lessons, so if you want to join in on the fun, I'll share them with you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

This coming from the woman who can't change her tv input!!! SMH ... lol
ReplyDeleteYes, I can NOW change my TV input. I never realized there were so many ports on the TV.......on the back, in the front, on the side. They should NOT make TV's smarter than people! And why do they make the writing so small
ReplyDeleteyou can't see it, because the TV is mounted up to the sky!