So, this is how it goes. About 6 weeks ago I received a call from Kat telling me she had gone on a job interview, and really thought she had a good chance of getting the job. A few days later I get a call, and yes, she got the job, and needed a babysitter. I started planning mine and Sherrill's trip to drive across the country, and had already bought his return ticket home. At the last minute, he didn't have a babysitter for Jack, and I wanted to travel alone, so he decided to stay home, and send me on my way with my new set of tires!
The very first day, and about 8 or 9 hours into the trip the car started acting funny (tachometer) and I would loose speed going up the mountain. The service light came on, so I stopped at an Auto Zone in Cookeville, TN and had it checked out. They said everything checked out OK and sent me on my way. I decided to drive around the parking lot a few times because I knew something was wrong. As I got ready to pull out on the road, it wouldn't go. I drove back to Auto Zone and parked under a street light and went inside to get the men. They came out, checked it out, and realized something was wrong. I told them it was my transmission,( I had this happen before.)
The Chevrolet dealership was 2 blocks up the hill, but Bessie just couldn't make it. So, they called me a wrecker. No problem for the wrecker, but big problem for me. The seats of the wrecker were up to my boobs, and I couldn't reach the grab bar. After a few attempts I finally made it in!
To make a long story short, I did need a transmission, but their price was too high. Kat found a local mechanic that could do it $1,200.00 cheaper, so I had it towed there.
No, I did NOT climb back into that thing. They called for me a rental car, and the nice lady came to pick me up. In the meantime, the mechanic ordered me a transmission, but told me it would be 3-4 days before the car would be ready.
So, now it was time for hotel looking, but first I wanted to drive out to see where they carried Bessie.
The lot was closed, but I went on and unloaded what I need from the car and headed to a nearby hotel.
Some motorcycle thing was going on, and the first hotel was booked. They called around, and could not find a room. Then they sent me to a sister hotel, quoting the price at $150.00. When I got there the lobby and bar was full of bikers. Older bikers 45 probably to 70. There was a line just to check-in.
I decided, 150.00 a night 4 nights, I could be in Reno by then. So, I called Sherrill. He said he would pick up Bessie, and I could head on west. So I did, that very day.
I broke down around 1:00, and it was 6:00 pm before I ever headed out of town. I had to go back to Bessie to unload EVERYTHING, and to tell her goodbye! Then I was off.
I don't usually drive at night, but I was behind schedule, and everything was going good, so I drove on until 11:00 pm. I started my trip at 5:00 AM, so that was one long day.
The vehicle I rented was some type of Chevy SUV, and it was brand new. It drove great, and I got it for just $29.00 a day. See.....that was cheaper than a hotel room anyway! After the first day, the oil light came on. I had to call Sherrill so he could tell me how to put the oil in, no problem there! But, the next day the service engine soon came on. Then I had to figure out how to reset the oil life button.
Everything after that was smooth sailing. St Louis slowed me down about an hour with road construction. I was amazed with all of the cornfields in Iowa, the beauty of Nebraska, and the vastness of Wyoming. New Mexico and Wyoming are my two favorite states.
So yes, Grandma did it! At 60 years old, I achieved my dream of driving across country, by myself.
Just me, and my thoughts. I could stop when I wanted, eat when I wanted, stop along the way just to look at all the beautiful creatures. It was an AMAZING experience!
This truly was Grandma's Big Adventure!
so who got to be the lucky one and go with grandpa to get bessie?
ReplyDeleteThat would have been Mandy. 8 hours there......8 hours back, and through the mountains!
ReplyDeleteAnd did I mention Sherrill HATES driving in the mountains, and long trips. I'm glad he made it.
If you think Nebraska and Wyoming are beautiful states you should see South Dakota sometime.
ReplyDeleteYes I should! Sherrill said it was beautiful.
ReplyDelete