Saturday, November 19, 2011

We are Here!

I think I am going to die. Driving through the NC mountains was fine. A little curvy, but nothing I couldn't handle.
The rest of the trip was uneventful, that was until I got less that a half of a mile from the house. The road goes straight down. I couldn't do it, I just couldn't do it. I pulled off into someone else's  driveway. I just sat there and told Sherrill I wasn't going down there that I would just stay in a motel down the road. He was furious. He started walking down the mountain to see which lodge it was. I picked up the phone and called the owner, Karen. I told her I just couldn't go down that road, and she assured me that I would make it down there, and back up. I knew I couldn't do it. She told me her mom had said the same thing on her first visit out, but now she just scoots right up and down.Sherrill came back up huffing and puffing. He even had to stop along the way and lean on a rock ledge to rest. He flung himself across the hood of the car and was fussing. I had called Kat and told her of my dilemma.I finally got up the courage, and drove down that mountain. My foot had the brakes all the way to the floor. The tires felt like they were not rolling, but being drug down the mountain. I was yelling and so was Sherrill. I finally parked in front of the house, and rushed inside, leaving Sherrill to unload the car. This was fair enough though because I was the one that had loaded it in the first place.

One slight problem......now we needed groceries. I offered to pay Sherrilll $50.00 to go pick up groceries so I wouldn't have to go back UP that mountain. He said he would, but he didn't sound too happy. So, I went and parked my big butt in the passenger seat, and let him drive (I had done all the driving up until now)!
We made it to Walmart, and back DOWN the mountain. I refuse to go out any more today. I've already told Sherrill that anywhere we go, we have to be home before dark. I am NOT going down that mountain in the dark!
My heart is still beating a mile a minute. I think I am going to die!

2 comments: